Eastlake High Hosts First E-sports Competition

Igor Karimov

Two gaming controllers on a yellow background.

This article originally appeared in Eastlake High School’s ‘Eastlake Edge’ in December 2021. It has been lightly edited for republication.

The return to in-person learning also came with the revitalization of Eastlake High School clubs. A new club launched this year to cater to a specific group of Eastlake kids — the gamers. The E-Sports club, run by English teacher Mark Brickley, is a club never done before. It is a club designed to enforce a positive environment, creating a community and redefining the name of gaming in Eastlake. 

Brickley comments that video games tend to get the shorter end of the stick. It is no surprise to people that having a gaming hobby can be considered lazy and a waste of time. Both the media and parents’ impressions of video games are projected onto kids, possibly making them feel as though they are unheard and their interests do not matter. With the E-Sports club, Brickley strives to make some adjustments to that mindset. 

To reinforce a positive take on gaming, the E-sports club hosted its very first gaming tournament here at Eastlake High inside the Ruth Chapman theater. The last gaming competition was hosted by the district and was strictly online and participants competed in a nature-themed Minecraft build challenge. This time, Eastlake students played the game Rocket League and students were able to enroll in groups of three. Teams had the chance to win some $900 worth of prizes, with the grand prize being a $60 Best Buy gift card for each winning team member. However, all competitors went home with shirts, gift cards for frozen yogurt, Mercury vouchers, and even 3D-printed keychains made on campus. 

Along with the gaming club, Eastlake’s competitive barbeque club made an appearance. They made and sold their barbeque for those who attended, even coming out with a menu listing their food and prices ahead of the tournament with hopes of funding their club. 

“[The E-sports club] allows for a more diverse student population,” Brickley observes. With the theater also planning renovations and more community involvement, Brickley envisions a future where Eastlake can be the hub of E-sports in the South Bay area.

“We are all Titans. That’s something we should be proud of.”

By Jules Alegre, Eastlake High School | Class of 2022